Hello !! If you know me or follow me on Instagram (here) then you know that I am crazy about second hand shopping ! I’ve loved thrifting since I am was …. 10 years old ? and moving here to Calgary was really great for this (we don’t have so many second hand shops in France, especially in Aix en Provence – most of them are ”vintage shop”).
So when Sophie (the social media manager of Goodwill Alberta) proposed I do a Instagram Takeover ** for the brand of course I said yes !!! I said yes because I already shop a lot at Goodwill, I spend a lot (too much) time on Instagram, and also it was a amazing opportunity to help you discover that Goodwill is not only a second hand shop in Calgary but also a non-profit social enterprise. The revenue from theirs sales goes to providing career training and job opportunities for Albertans’ with disabilities.
** An Instagram takeover is the process of taking over someone else’s Instagram account temporarily and sharing content with their audience.
The reasons why I love second hand shopping:
- It’s Fun : You never know what you will find in store !
- It’s Cheap : come on, why would you pay $80 for a jeans when it’s only $10 second hand ?
- It’s Eco friendly : producing new clothing requires energy and so much water !! Buying second hand reducing the impact on the planet.
- As it’s cheap, you can buy some clothes that you wouldn’t afford or wear normally and experiment ! (for example for me : fake fur jacket, or green clothes) And if you only wear that red shirt with dots a few times, it’s ok, it was only $3. (and then you can still re-donnate it to goodwill)
- Clothes are uniques : you won’t run into somebody wearing the same piece as you
- It’s higher quality : these clothes have already been worn, washed, ironed … and still look good !!!
My 10 my tips for a successful second hand shopping :
- Be ready : Are you looking for something ? (make a list)
- Budget : How much do you want to spend (decide a budget and stick to it) (i know it’s hard)
- Try, and choose the right size. Yes I know, this Chanel wool skirt is amazing, and cost only $15 …. but if it’s too small (or large) you won’t never wear it ! (but at the same time Pay no attention to size : if this Large pullover looks good one you (and you normally wears XS) then go for it !! )
- Use a shopping cart (ok or a basket) then do a loop around the entire store and grab everything that catches your attention, even if you are not sure about it. Then try everything !
- Pay attention to material, no stain, no hole, they are no-go !!!
- Patience: don’t be in a hurry, take your time. I do spent a lot of time when I go at Goodwill. I would advise you to have 2 hours in front of you dedicate to your shopping session.
- Get comfy: when you go shopping wear comfy shoes and outfit, and good underwear (that flatter your)
- Know which brands look good on you (for me banana republic and gap)
- Take a second look to through the shop: you may have missed some treasures !
- At this end our of your shopping choose what’s worth buying : sometimes I find a lot of nice items, but do I really need a 4thfourth pair of black jeans? The answer is no. So try to buy pieces that will work with your actual wardrobe
Why I love shopping at Goodwill (Chinook store) ?
- The staff are nice and efficient ! It’s always nice to shop there!
- This shop is big … but not too huge (with 4 changing rooms)
- I often find banana republic pieces and gap jeans (1966 – size 27, the ones I wear every days)
- It’s nearby the C-Train (I don’t drive here in Calgary)
- Prices are great !
- I feel part of a community as I know that the $I spent will help people (88.8% of every dollar spent in Goodwill thrift stores goes into programs.)
Goodwill is a social enterprise providing individuals with disabilities the opportunity to enhance their lives through meaningful employment.
So I will see you next Tuesday at 10:00 in live from GOODWILL CHINOOK CALGARY for my shooping !!! Let’s see what I will find !!
Goodwill Retails Locations
- CHINOOK 5707B Macleod Trail SW
- MACLEOD TRAIL 10426 Macleod Trail SE
- TRANS CANADA 1440 – 52 St. NE
- VARSITY 4625 Varsity Dr. NW
- BEACON HEIGHTS #710, 12024 Sarcee Trail NW
- AIRDRIE 306, 800 Veterans Blvd. NW